Have you had a tooth extracted recently or do you have an extraction coming up? While this procedure may be completely necessary to get you out of mouth pain, what’s just as important is that you replace your tooth after it’s taken out. Unlike other medical conditions that get better with time, oral health issues like missing teeth will only become worse. Unfortunately, even a single missing tooth can cause serious problems if it isn’t replaced. Keep reading to learn the hidden dangers of prolonged tooth replacement and why dental implants are your best option for a complete and healthy smile.
What Happens if Missing Teeth Aren’t Replaced?
Some patients think that missing teeth may not affect them other than their appearance, but even a single missing tooth can cause serious health issues. Your teeth use each other as supports to stay in their place and aligned. When you lose a tooth, your surrounding dental structure will slowly but surely drift into the gap, causing misalignment.
Additionally, your teeth provide vital stimulation to your jawbone to keep it healthy and strong. When you lose teeth, you’re also losing necessary stimulation, which causes your jawbone to deteriorate. This problem can lead to older appearance and even additional tooth loss. Also, missing teeth can cause more wear and tear on your existing dental structure from the added pressure. This can lead to bad habits like teeth grinding and will eventually weaken your dental structure to the point that you’ll need restorations.
Benefits of Replacing Teeth with Dental Implants
While replacing your teeth with any solution is better than none at all, dental implants can provide you with benefits that you can’t get anywhere else, including:
- Longevity: Unlike other options, dental implants can last a lifetime with proper care.
- Strength: Rooted in your jawbone, dental implants provide you with strong biting power, allowing you to eat a wide range of foods.
- Health: Dental implants are the only replacement option that stimulates your jawbone after tooth loss, preventing deterioration in the future.
- Comfort: The most stable and natural feeling replacement available, dental implants are so comfortable to wear you may even forget that you have them.
- Versatility: Dental implants can be used to replace one tooth, multiple teeth, or even a whole smile.
Does it sound like dental implants are right for you? Don’t wait for your missing teeth to affect your appearance and health, call your dentist to take your first step towards a complete smile.
About the Practice
At Smile Fitness Dental Center, we have a team of three dentists who each have their own background and education to provide quality dentistry for their patients in Phoenix. Dr. Bernard M. Florento is specifically trained in the placement and restoration of dental implants, making him a perfect dentist for your tooth replacement needs. If you have any questions, he can be contacted through his website or by phone at (623) 849-0477.